For all your "Where is Joshua Paul Salmons?" needs, SNS provides you with up-to-date goings-on from the front-ish lines of the Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Visitors

Yesterday I met some military journalists.

They were out of our higher headquarters and part of a reserve unit out of Denver.

Three sergeants and a captain. Smiling. Friendly. Not in that sappy, fake religion kind of happy, but in a way that showed satisfaction in their work.

Having hopped on a convoy to get here, they were scheduled to spend a couple of days with us, covering this and that, and allowing soldiers to record holiday "Hi Mom"s to be sent home to the states.

Naturally our command wasn't too keen on them showing up at all. By all accounts, they care little for the media, and listen to the counsel of our intelligence section that says we are all liars and spies.

There were ground rules laid out on where they could and couldn't go. As the servant of the unit, it was my duty to enforce those rules.

"Wow, your unit is awfully sad and tired-looking," said the visiting staff sergeant after I explained the restrictions. Although her Hungarian accent colored her words, she spoke clearly enough that it was more of a unique flourish than a distraction.

"Really? I guess I didn't notice," I said back.

Living with the constant pile of things to do, I didn't look around very much. But there they were, downcast faces, grumpy responses to salutations, sighs and moans, all the signs of a unit too long deployed...and we had only just begun.

It was late in the afternoon, and our guests were eyeing dinner. My section sergeant and I said we’d join them, but would have to get back to work afterwards.

“Wow, how long do you work?” one asked.

I told her it changed often, but was between 10 and 15 hours a day.

“Doing what?” she continued.

That was a good question. There were PowerPoint slides that needed to be submitted, a myriad of meetings that required our attendance, some one was always reenlisting – photos had to be taken...always a glut of small, trite tasks.

The captain called it “combat envy” – the way that units that didn’t have a war to fight filled their days with office drivel to look hardcore. He was right.

After talking with them, I grew more and more jealous of their position. They traveled around the country, visiting all of their subordinate units. Their command allowed them free reign of the theater, hopping from camp to camp, looking for stories to tell. They had seen palaces, ruins, bombs, units doing well, and units struggling. They were journalists.

They were doing what I thought I was signing up to do. I guess it made me wonder what I was contributing to the whole mess.

I know the whole “everyone serves in their own way” story, and it’s true. Even the admin people who process awards, leave, promotions and all that get to help out...but what about the guy who takes pictures of the admin people? Really. I’m about as essential as a fifth thumb.

Our visitors will leave tomorrow to head north. They don’t know what they’ll find, but there are some people they haven’t visited in a while. Sounded like quite an adventure.

I have halls to clean and dust to sweep for a general who’s visiting in a few days. They even sent the temperature she wants her room in the dining facility to be. What am I doing here?

###

9 Comments:

Blogger Papa Ray said...

Well, I could say that your just doing your duty.

But, I guess that is just too PC and expected.

What you are really doing is:

Now listen up this is important!

You are growing up, building experiences, building confidence, building memories and paying your dues.

Life is like that, sometimes it sucks, sometimes it rocks, but mostly it is what YOU make it.

Don't let life kick you in the ass, get moving, get motivated if for no one else but yourself.

Continue the Mission.

Papa Ray
West Texas
USA

7:49 PM

 
Blogger salemonz said...

Good stuff. You're very much right. It's easy to lose focus amid the BS sometimes.

Thanks PR, I'm on it.

11:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you eventually move into doing what your visitors do, the traveling around bit? I'm sorry I don't know how that kind of thing works in the military, but maybe some words expressing your interest, relayed to the correct ear(s), and like Papa Ray said, paying some dues, and it might be a next step!?! Hoping so, for you; just don't give up if it doesn't happen right away.
Oh, and the temperature thing is a bit peculiar. Like certain rock stars and no green M&Ms! :-)

1:28 AM

 
Blogger Finch said...

josh, josh, josh...i feel your pain bro - i WAS the higher HQ guys when i was out there, but we, much like you, were stuck - as far as going to cover "our" people...we did however, make MANY a trip down passed your place (taji) on our way to Baghdad...so i guess i've done a bit of both (traveling and being stuck) but i'll tell you this - staying where you're at out there is a very good way of coming home ALIVE...which - for me anyway - was THE best part of the whole expirience - feel me?

2:45 AM

 
Blogger Finch said...

on another note - be sure and check out me and my new posse - i'm the white dude down front! HA!

2:48 AM

 
Blogger salemonz said...

Ya, Beth, things can switch around. It's just a matter of being persistent. I'll be going on a lot more convoys here in the coming months to cover more of what our subordinate units do. It takes time.

In the meantime, I just need to not let all the office brouhaha wear me out too much, thanks!

Mos def, Finch. You guys look uber tight.

7:22 AM

 
Blogger Apples said...

Wow, what a depressing little post you've written, Josh!

I suppose we all have moments where we're working and then realise it's not what we signed up for, but that's no consolation for when you're in the moment. I guess there's limited opportunity for you to do your thing unless there's a ruckus. Just be glad you're not the only one feeling the sting of getting ripped off by the job description. :(

Ooh, it's a short one today - tjaoc.

6:57 AM

 
Blogger salemonz said...

Love ya, Rinns! You're always a pleasure to run into on the comment boards!

medium for me -- ynujkyx

12:11 PM

 
Blogger Apples said...

Oh I never run. Running is for suckers.

- gukbkd

4:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home