For all your "Where is Joshua Paul Salmons?" needs, SNS provides you with up-to-date goings-on from the front-ish lines of the Global Struggle Against Violent Extremism

Saturday, September 10, 2005

Everything must go

The movers came Thursday and took away all my stuff.

Now it's just me, an exercise mat I'm using to sleep on, my laptop, and my military duffel bags.

It's terribly Japanese, and actually I like it, although my bum gets a little sore from the floor after a while. I'd get a few cushions if we weren't leaving in a bit. I'm not big on the having-lots-of-stuff gig.

So we're down to the final week. I'll be posting a few more times before the send off, but I may be a while before I can reconnect. Please don't leave me, I'll be back. It's just a matter of finding a connection to the cyberific world of the internet in the torrid wastes of the Iraqi desert.

I'm looking at options for starting a Podcast while I'm deployed. There are a couple of microphones you can buy for iPods, turning them into dictaphones with hours and hours of recording time. The idea is to have a sort of weekly reality-show sort of episode thing.

I'm not shooting to make it into anything epic, just to give people a chance at what soldiers talk about during those long hours of waiting on patrol. It's not ALL women and sports, and we cover a lot of life issues under the backdrop of bombs and gunfire. There are incredible people in the military, personality-wise.

It'll be a good chance for me to use the radio skills I picked up in college (broadcasting major, whodathought?). Ask BroGonzo, I have a terribly sexy radio voice ;)

It's unequivocally a no-no by the Army types, but there's good odds that (A) They have no idea what Podcasts are; and (B) They won't be able to form a committee to discuss ways of drafting a memo to request a formal inquiry to decide if they should pass a regulation banning Podcasts...before I leave Iraq.

More later, friends. For now I'm going to numb my mind surfing around and packing a bit.

###

12 Comments:

Blogger Apples said...

Oh Christ, everyone's disappearing into the sand! Be safe, Josh. The maternal instinct in me is kicking in bigtime, though I do admit my laziness and reality of distance stops me from baking you a batch of muffins. Either way, I am nervous in the back-half of my girlbits for you.

Before you kinda-sorta explained what a Podcast was, I had NO idea. You should do everything in your power to sort it out, and I'll tune in whenever I can be arsed, or whenever you remind us.

Cheers, Josh. Take care of yourself, eh?

6:23 PM

 
Blogger Apples said...

PS. I told one of the trainees in the lab that he had a great face for radio, just as a joke. I think I upset him a bit. Oop.

8:06 PM

 
Blogger salemonz said...

They told me stright up that I had a face for radio. When you're getting into that business, it wastes time to mince words and pander to people's feelings.

Ya Podcasts are super exciting, mainly because it's another step in mass communication. First there was radio, then TV, then the internet (for a more personalized broadcast), and now Podcasting (which has gotten lots of radio stations pumped b/c people can choose to subscribe to daily radio shows, garnering interest).

Radio stations like Air America (a more "liberal" radio station), which didn't fly at all in the radio-market world, has found a new nitche market in Podcasting...all that to say it should be cool.

8:54 PM

 
Blogger salemonz said...

P.S. and thanks for the muffin offer ;) I'll take a rain check.

8:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can bet your sweet monkey ninja ass I'll be downloading those podcasts. Big props if you can pull some of those off. I will be praying for you while you're over there. Come back soon, and stay strong. While everyone might not agree on this war, I think it's all agreed that everyone is for supporting our troops (or at least they better). Here is some thanks from the heart of my bottom :)

Godspeed and Safe Journey Soldier!

9:25 PM

 
Blogger salemonz said...

Thanks Chaddy, I'll be around to bother you here and there ;)

10:08 PM

 
Blogger Apples said...

I was bluffing on the muffins, I can't bake for shite.

11:41 PM

 
Blogger Finch said...

well, well, i was hoping the day was still a ways down the road, but alas, the time has come for you to head to my least favorite place I've ever been...Godspeed man, stiff upper lip and all that...ha! as for Pod casting or whatever...check up on the recent reg changes they've made with regards to posting things from out there...there is an actual OIF regulation governing Blogs and things of that nature...keep in touch - you've got my email and my DSN # here is 723-3034 - I'm six hours ahead of Baghdad

12:04 AM

 
Blogger Finch said...

P.S. - (cause everyone else had a P.S.) if you need ANYTHING when you get there or throughout your time hit me up-been there man-I won't hesistate to get whatever i can to make life tolerable...

12:05 AM

 
Blogger salemonz said...

Word.

Mucho thankso!

8:55 AM

 
Blogger Finch said...

hey dude, gimme a good number for you or are you still on the same 'ol cell...I'd like to hit you up be for you get on with the gettin on...

3:47 AM

 
Blogger salemonz said...

Ya, same cell for now. It'll be done with by the end of the week, though ;)

8:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home